3 May 2019
Music and drama are two of the most popular activities at Interchange Australia. Both are offered as part of our Day Options Program and as weekly evening classes. Our weekend Peer Support program also provides clients with the opportunity to attend a wide range of entertainment events, including concerts and theatre productions.
Drama and musical activities can positively enrich your life in the following areas;
• communication and self-confidence – participating in drama and musical activities enhances verbal and nonverbal communication including voice projection, expression, listening and observational skills. Actively being involved in the creative process of writing scripts and being involved in all aspects of music and drama activities increases self-confidence through self-expression.
• cooperation, empathy and teamwork – collaboration is a key component in ensuring people are provided with an opportunity to learn from each other and work towards performances that showcase their talents. Playing different characters enhances empathy and understanding towards other people.
• community events – drama and music provide opportunities for people to participate in community events and be actively involved in their communities. Interchange Australia hosts popular annual events including RockCan and Rock the Houses. In addition, Interchange Australia’s band, the Hidden Wonders, perform at many other community events including awareness days and local shows. The Stage Fright Players, Interchange Australia’s drama group, perform original productions twice a year to delighted audiences.
• creativity, imagination and keeping active minds – creativity inspires us to think of new ideas and view the world in new and different ways. Rehearsing and learning lines or lyrics, increases the memory function in our brains that requires exercise similar to our bodies to keep healthy.
• fitness and physical strength – although not a vigorous activity, performing, dancing and rehearsing requires flexibility, coordination, balance, and control.
• enjoyment of life – music and drama brings joy to people’s life as they laugh and are entertained therefore increasing motivation, enjoyment of daily life and reducing stress.
On Tuesday 21st May, Interchange Australia will host the epic battle of the bands event, Rock the Houses. Rock the Houses will showcase the musical and drama skills of our talented singers, musicians and drama enthusiasts from both the Narellan and Southern Highlands campuses! As part of our Day Options program our clients have been enthusiastically practicing and developing their musical and drama skills to appear on stage.
If you are interested in joining our music or drama activities or attending Rock the Houses, please call 1300 112 334. New participants are welcome all year around to join our Day Options program, band classes on Monday from 5:00-7:00pm and drama classes on Wednesdays from 4:30-6:00pm at Welby Hall.